I would like to introduce you the youngest Province in Indonesia; North Kalimantan Province.
In article 7, on Creation of New Autonomous District (DOB) stated that the Provincial Capital of North Kalimantan located in Tanjung Selor, Bulungan Regency.
In another article mentioned that the four regencies which are part of the East Kalimantan Province will be included as part of North Kalimantan Province. Four regencies are; Bulungan Regency (based on Regulation No. 27 year 1959) Tarakan City, Nunukan Regency and Tana Tidung Regency.
North and west directly bordering Malaysia, Sabah and Sarawak. In the eastern province bordering the strait Makassar and the Celebes Sea. Whereas, in the Southern bordering the West Kutai, East Kutai and Berau (East Kalimantan Province)
Furthermore, we will try to assess the potential mineral resources of this province using band ratio to detect mineral resources. The mineral composite image will be consists of three ratio images of Landsat: Bands 5/7, ratio for clay mineral, Bands 5/4 ratio for ferrous minerals, and Bands 3/1 ratio for iron oxides.
We will use ILWIS open source software for this simple arithmetic algorithm.
1. Convert your data .tiff format into ILWIS format using GDAL (bands; 1, 3, 4, 5, 7)
2. Stretching your dataset
3. Employ ratio arithmetic algorithm
4. Create composite color (RGB=Clay-Ferrous-Iron)
5. Employ PCA analysis using bands 1-5 and 7 (follow the tutorial here)
6. Analyze the result of PC1, PC3, and PC4 (the PC1 shows the albedo. PC4 enhances the iron oxide bearing areas, as this PC has higher loadings of band 1 and 3. PC3 enhances the ferrous mineral bearing areas as this PC has higher loadings of band 4 and 5)
7. Create composite color (RGB=PC1-PC3-PC4)
8. Compare the result between step (4) and step (7)